Japan, land of contrasts

 

Japan. I wouldn't ordinarily have a page of stamps from Japan, but then again I have been there. Three times. Always to the same place. A night stop in the town of Narita. A fascinating one street town with a gorgeous temple and gardens at the far end. It is an airport town and has a transitory feel to it. But I hated seeing, in one of the shop windows, the grotesque sight of an old man skinning eels alive. Done almost like a tourist attraction. There is so much that is good and interesting about Japan, but there is so much horror too. These stamps were given to me by my colleague Michael Oakes, a kind and gentle man who worked with me for a short, much too short, period time. Thanks Mike! 

I don't have many photos from my three trips to Japan (although oddly I do have a video of the eel killing man). This is a snap of one of the market stalls in Narita high street.