The Florida Keys


One of a fine set of stamps from the USA, this one featuring coral in Florida which is located off the coast of the Florida Keys. This is the only reef found in continental USA (Hawaii also has coral). 

The only time I dived (as opposed to snorkelled) in the Florida Keys was an interesting affair. We were staying at the Ocean Reef Club (it's posh, look it up) where Greg was a chef. One day Greg arranged for us to go out on a boat with Rick (the resident dolphin trainer). He told Rick that I was a qualified scuba diver. I wasn't. Rick took this at face value, I was too embarrassed to admit the truth. Rick took me out on his boat, strapped me into a scuba rig and threw me overboard. I lived. Just. 
And here he is on that fateful trip. Rick Trout the dolphin man. His departure from Ocean Reef and life thereafter turned into a drama to rival Tiger King.